Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Stubborn

This word could be used to describe Ryan, myself or our daughter. Proof: One night for dinner Dalby was served chicken, fruit and cooked carrots. She cleaned up her plate quite nicely, minus the cooked carrots. So the rule was in order to get down she needed to eat one sliced cooked carrot . A request Ryan and I did not see as unreasonable. However, Dalby did not agree with this and thought she should just get down and play with her toys. Ryan and I stuck to our guns and we kept her company for awhile at the table encouraging her to eat one carrot, talking to her about the day's activities, having our own discussions, offering her a glass of water to wash down the partial bite she had in her mouth.......you get the point. Well with little progress, Daddy went in to catch a little TV and I too joined him sitting where I had a view of the TV and Dalby. We frequently went in and checked on her. She had put the carrot in her mouth but had stashed it in her cheek and would not swallow the orange treat. She had two more glasses of milk to help wash it down and she still refused to swallow the carrot. So we just let her sit at the table. It was getting late and we just wanted her to swallow the carrot so she could hang out with us but with no luck. Dalby was so tired and we could tell she was waivering but not budging and slowly starting to fade into dreamland. Well at one of our frequent checks we watched her fall asleep, carrot still in her mouth, head on the table and looking so sweet. Ryan and I laughed, had to take a picture and then went to brush her teeth. Within the first swipe of the toothbrush the carrot was swallowed and I leaned over to Ryan and whispered, "We won" :)

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I love it! ...but I don't believe it. Dalby is perfect and follows all the rules. I've never seen her sass anyone...except for Clinton!